Friday, June 26, 2009

good-bye, working world

Dear Corporate,


It's been an interesting ride. To be honest, I wasn't too fond of you at first. You were a little bit stifling, with all your rules, and pressed blazers, and strict hours. It just didn't feel like you saw me for me....and quite honestly, at the very beginning, it seemed as though you'd stop at nothing to embarrass me and expose me for the charlatan I was (and am). 


And then there was the neediness. The late night phone calls and emails that would disrupt my life with family and friends...that irrepressible urge to check Outlook at all hours of the night.  For years, I flew around the country, chasing you down in airports and small towns only to see you slip through my fingers once more. You had such little consideration for my life outside of you!


Of course, I'll never forget your numerous attempts to poison me. Finally I grew wise to your wily ways and learned to steer clear of anything labeled "White Christmas" and/or lying "innocuously" on the kitchen tables. 


We did have a few good times. You were generous in treating me to dinner and paying my rent. You helped me grow from a silly, impetuous college student to a still-silly, slightly less impetuous "adult" who is capable of wearing suit jackets with only minor discomfort.  


Most of all, you introduced me to a number of good colleagues and great friends, and for that I am grateful. 


I'm really going to miss you....until Monday morning, that is


Let the adventures begin!


XOXO,
babysuit

No comments: