Tuesday, September 9, 2008

As my girl Dorothy Parker once wrote:

Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
A medley of extemporanea;
And love is a thing that can never go wrong;
And I am Marie of Rumania.

--Dorothy Parker

I feel sure of the first two lines at least. As I keep reminding myself: whatever happens this year, it is bound to be some sort of adventure!


I feel compelled to post about Dorothy, one of my favorite poets, because I visited New York City for the first time this weekend, and sipped a (very expensive) "Parker" martini in the Algonquin Hotel, where she used to hang out with the 1920's literati. How I wish I could have sat next to her in that lounge! I imagine she would be brilliantly cynical and at times caustic, but a wonderful, entertaining bar buddy. I hope my own life is filled with the sort of adventures worthy of her pithy poems and whimsical stories...although I suppose it's up to me to make it so!


Not to mention the fact that over eighty years ago, Dorothy described better than I ever could exactly how I feel about the billions of poorly-run, mind-numbingly boring meetings I must sit through on a weekly basis:

Resume (Should be called "Death By Meeting!")

Razors pain you
Rivers are damp
Acids stain you
And drugs cause cramp
Guns aren't lawful
Nooses give
Gas smell awful

You might as well live.
-D. Parker, 1926

Brilliant!!!!!!!



No comments: