Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Idealist.org Grad School Blogging Project

My little blog is growing up! Baby Suit is becoming part of a graduate school blogging project hosted by as a way to provide graduate students and prospective grad students with resources and a little personal touch as they (and we) navigate our way through the process. I'm excited to be part of the project, especially because Idealist.org has such a strong non-profit and service-oriented mission. Since I currently work in a for-profit environment (albeit, a hospital with a patient-focused mission), the vocal little idealist in me is itching to get out and play. Hopefully, my ramblings might help (or at least entertain) someone who is going through something similar.
Just a quick background on this blog and on me:

I graduated with a BA in sociology from Northwestern University in June of 2007, and after quite a bit of reflection and research, decided not to pursue medical school. Instead, I have been working full time as part of a hospital administration fellowship program, since July of 2008, and have been bouncing around the US working in various hospitals. I started this blog in winter of last year as a way to vocalize frustrations and anecdotes as I adjusted to adulthood and a corporate world in which suits, ties, and overusage of the word "strategic" are a way of life. I realized quickly how much I missed academia and found that sitting in the back office crunching numbers didn't quite satiate my curiosity or my passion to help people work through issues relating to healthcare quality and access. My passion is the study of how social, cultural, and behavioral factors impact individuals' and society's health decisions, behaviors, and access, so I am applying for an MPH (concentration in social/behavioral health) for enrollment in 2009. I'm particularly interested in programs that will allow me a high degree of flexibility in exploring my interests, and also programs that offer focus on applied research. I love learning and academic exploration just for the sake of it, but I'd really like to ultimately translate research into action.

In the past, this blog has been a catchall for just about anything I felt like posting, and my submissions have been inconsistent. As the Idealist Blogger program launches, more of my posts will focus on reflection about current health/public health issues, graduate school, and the application process...although I am certain there will still be a fair amount of my typical sarcastic humor mixed in.

No comments: