Wednesday, May 19, 2010

joyful, joyful we adore thee

       Today was my first day visiting one of the kindergartens (read: glorified daycare centers) where I will be doing my research. First of all, let me say that I'd kind of like to live in one of these places. Far larger and more magical than any American preschool I've been to (although that's admittedly a sample size of one), Kindergarten #1 was like a little oasis of sunshine and color inside of a crowded city of concrete.
         We walked into a courtyard where two dozen children were lined up, playing the tiniest accordions I've ever seen to the tune of "Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee," or whatever the name of that song is. About half of them broke rank to point and stare at me--living in China makes me feel like a celebrity or a total freak of nature, although I haven't quite decided which. We were then led on a tour of the school, which enrolls 360 children (a small school, by Chinese standards), which included a sleeping room, a computer room, and my personal favorite--a room with a giant pool of plastic balls and slides, kind of like the best McPlayground you've ever seen. I was tempted to jump in. Thankfully, I ignored the urge and was taken to one of the more creepy things I've seen in China: the "Science Room." The Science Room, I learned, is a place where animals live in taxidermy eternity in small glass cages. I saw a stuffed rooster, rabbit, mama duck and baby ducks--and believe it or not, what appeared to be a small albino hedgehog. I made some polite "ooh ahh" sounds and sighed a breathe of relief when we left to attend the nutrition class.
     Apparently, because of the one-child policy, Chinese parents are especially attentive to their children's health. These kindergartens, where my preceptor does her research, have received well her nutrition and physical activity program. Today's lesson was about the Chinese Food "Pagoda," which resembles the American food pyramid in all its misguided glory-- heavy on the grains and meat, not enough fruits and veggies. I was treated to a couple dozen children entering the classroom by waving laminated fruits above their heads and singing a song about going to the market. Ironically, the lessons have a double purpose: the kids get to learn about nutrition, and I get to learn the Chinese words for apple, cucumber, and eggplant. Turns out that sharing a classroom with a bunch of three-year olds may be the most educational lecture I've attended all year....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The old adage that everything you ever needed to learn you learned in kindergarten rings true again, even in China. Keep up your beautiful writing, it is a joy to peek into your adventure. We miss and love you!