Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Now I Ain't Sayin' She's a Gold Digger


A random thought occurred to me as I was driving to work this morning, listening to a crappy British novel on CD:


I really appreciate the British colloquialism, "Sort it out." As in, "Charlie, why don't you go sort it out," or "What a poor sod! She really just needs to sort herself out." (Mostly I just wanted to use the word "sod" there... yet another wonderful quirky British linguistic creation. It always makes me think of humans as a giant, grassy hunk of dirt and soil, which quite frankly, they sometimes are)




Anyway, it's not something you hear that often in American conversation, or at least not in that sense. I really like it because it brings to mind images of the aforementioned "poor sod" sitting in a corner, attempting to sift through all the clutter, panning to find a glimpse or two of herself amongst all the mess that is life. Perhaps this is particularly poignant for me, since this is what I've spent a great deal of my time doing lately....without much success, I might add. I feel as though I'm digging through loads and loads of crap: of tv shows, novels, gossip rags, real friends, facebook friends, distorted emotions, the jagged edges of opinions from my parents, and layer upon layer of amorphous memories in a vain attempt to spot the gleam of some small, authentic shard of...me.



Perhaps this is the task of most twentysomethings: to sort through the massive mine of stuff that has composed our lives thus far and find the precious pieces of whatever that will make it all worthwhile. I guess that's what I am for now: a metaphorical gold-digger. Hopefully soon I will find the small fleck amongst the debris that will make it worth the risk for me to venture out and seize whatever adventure lies ahead.

1 comment:

GDL said...

Lindsey -

I have always preferred seeded grass to sod because it always has a better color and does not dry out as quickly as sod does.

Can't wait for the weekend!